Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Toy Review: Dimension X Casey Jones / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Playmates)


Dimension X Casey Jones, Dimension X April O'Neil and Robug were all three figures found at Target following what they call the "February reset".   I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going in hoping to find Dire Beaver but, you know, new toys are new toys.   Since the Turtles are spending their time flying around space with Fugitoid I suppose it makes sense that we do get these updated versions of Casey Jones and April O'Neil.   Casey Jones is particularly interesting because his first and I believe only other figure in this line has face paint on and then comes with a mask.   However, this figure with the helmet has a "normal" head sculpt for Casey Jones and I kind of like it.   I actually *do* believe though that when Casey Jones comes with the Slamboni he has this face as well but I'm still waiting to buy that because I saw it once at Walmart before Christmas, hesitated and now here I sit without it.

I enjoy the fact that Playmates and whoever is in charge of this line is giving us sort of updated versions of these main characters- they go well with the Metal Mutants box set and the bad guys we're getting- but I really wish we'd get more new characters instead of modified ones.   Seeing these guys in stores makes me think the line is moving forward and characters like Pigeon Pete are being left behind.    But, Casey Jones is one of those characters that kids are going to want as well as adults I suppose.   At one point in time, Quentin had the Casey Jones which came before this in his room and then it got lost in there during Christmas, so having this one was a good place holder until we cleaned his room up.

If you asked me on a scale from 1 to 10 how likely I thought it was that anyone in power at Playmates or related to the TMNT line actually read these posts I'd say it's probably about a negative two.    But I'd still like to note that when all is said and done and the Turtles end up back on Earth, because that has to be what happens by the end of Season 4 or Season 5, I'd really like to see Casey Jones not go back to how he dressed in the figure before this one but rather in a color scheme which more closely resembles the original Casey Jones from TMNT87.   I think it'd be a nice throwback touch and could give us a figure that is somewhere between the TMNT12 one and the TMNT87 one.   Clearly I can't be the only one who wants that though, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment