Friday, December 5, 2014

MP3 Review: LOM "INDPORT" (LOM)


[€5 for CD // Edition of 33 // Name Your Price Download // https://zvukolom.bandcamp.com/album/indport]

It needs to be noted that I am addressing this as "LOM" in the artist section of the title of the review only because that is what Bandcamp reflects but this is actually a split by Daniel Kordík and Tobiáš Potočn.    If you go to the Bandcamp link above though, all that and so much more is explained.  (I actually kind of like calling this "LOM" because when it's archived then everything from this Jonas Gruska label will be together)  ((I also feel as if I've listened to but never reviewed Jonas Gruska before and now that shall change))

As this is a split I like to think of it as being a cassette because there are two sides, but alas I simply played these as two separate pieces because it just felt right.    The first of the three tracks by Daniel Kordík has the sounds of ocean wave crashing, people talking and of course birds sailing overhead.   It'd be subtitled something like "A busy day at the beach".

The second track opens with an old jazz club sound but then gets blasted by a car horn which scared my cat.    Construction sounds come in next, which are mostly jackhammers drilling the pavement.    (And, no, I did not just compare this with that band Pavement, sorry)   This all around just has the sound of a construction site, yet it is also on a busy road as you can hear the cars pass and continued honking of horns by them.     The sound of music reappears as it has that Indian vibe and could also be related to one of my favorite terms for obvious reasons, the gypsy cab.

People are talking, but not like on the first track, and I can still hear car horns but things have gotten somewhat quieter now.   When I got the email about this release I read about how these are field recordings but I am curious as to where some of these were recorded exactly because I can hear a radio in the background of this portion but then the next part seems to have a barge singing.

Tinging of glasses, as if to make a toast, turns into the dinging that could come with the boarding of a train.   More street noises are heard and my cat is seriously confused as to whether or not she is outside now or maybe just why outside noises are coming from the laptop.     Perhaps she just likes the Indian music.    There is a lot more car horn honking now which makes sense to me because I've always heard that India is overcrowded.    And that takes us to the third piece now.

A slow, progressively increasing raking type of sound is bringing us up to start and when I'm thinking Tom Waits it fades.   Now it's back, but sharper somehow.     There is talking, even something which sounds like a news report, but the overall grating sound continues and I'm really not sure what's going on in here but there is a rhythm to it.    It's slightly quieter but also more haunting.  An audio clip says that it is haunting to think of what people can get away with doing to women in this country.

After the sound of crickets or some other plague of insects, this half (I'm not going to add up whether or not they're equal) of the split is met with an almost moaning sound that does somehow resemble singing in some ways.   It all ends as it began- with the crashing of waves in the water.

While Daniel Kordík has a mere tracks, Tobiáš Potočn has eight though they are not always as long which is why I still think this could end up being an even split.   We begin here with people talking and coughing.     This is a lot quieter overall than what was on before and it just has this feel of people talking and not  a whole lot else going on right now.

Some birds chirp and other background noises can be heard but this is primarly conversational before the whistling gives way to an electric saw of some kind.     It's kind of like a table saw and at the risk of sounding cheesy the patterns of it go back and forth like a seesaw.

Screams like banshees move around in vocal patterns and static.    An accordian takes center stage next and we could either be on a street corner or in a small cafe somewhere but I'm not sure which because I can't see the monkey.      These accordian keys can be confused with car horns and it's gone silent now.   I wonder if it is done, but it still plays on with time to spare.

There may or may not be faint sounds of something here near the end, and then it somehow turns into another track of near silence which is strange to me as well.   It then comes back to a hushed sound of waves crashing inside birds chirping and I feel like we've reached the entire beginning of it and the two pieces by the two different artists have intersected.

As only fitting for this split, the whole thing ends with one giant BANG, which is how some believe this world was started.     When you listen to this all the way through for the first time though it may somehow feel as if your world has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment