Monday, October 21, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Drowner “You’re Beautiful, I Forgive You” (Saint Marie Records)

                Listening to a band for the first time can be the hardest thing you have to do.  I mean, once you’ve heard them you’re able to draw comparisons and what not beyond that.   In the case of Drowner, “You’re Beautiful, I Forgive You” is their second album, their first being self-titled from 2012, and I kind of wish that I had listened to that and reviewed it last year when it came out. 

                Had I listened to their first album and reviewed it, I could write things now like, “This album reminds me of this part of their debut album” or I could compare and contrast in any other number of ways because at least I’d have that first album as a point of reference.   Right now I have no real point of reference for this.

                I should probably go back and review their self-titled album first, then try this one, but I’ve never been one for convention so I’m going to review them out of order and hope it pays off when I reach their third release. 

                So here’s what I know about Drowner, aside from these two albums, is that they’re on a Superdrag compilation, which doesn’t do a lot to explain their style of music but did help me find some neat covers of one of my favorite bands. 

                I can’t really recall a time recently when I’ve listened to a band and somehow missed their first album (first five albums, sure) especially when I was trying to review everything I could last year that came out in 2012, but it doesn’t matter.   I’ve been listening to this and their self-titled album in the same stretch and enjoying them both equally.


                In some ways, you could say that rather than being two separate albums spaced out over the course of a year or so, I see this as one big, long epic.  So even though I am reviewing them out of order because I’ve listened to them out of order, just know that this is a very successful follow up to their debut and is also a rather grand accompanying piece to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment