Tuesday, July 2, 2013

SBSR: Suzy Blu “Heartbreaker, Lose Your Head EP”

2 GBP to Download // 4 GBP for Limited Edition CD // Free to Stream

<1> “Heartbreaker, Lose Your Head” – This song starts with a grinding guitar, what appears to be synth and what also appears to be keys.  It’s like Schatzi meets the Anniversary meets something that doesn’t sound as bad to me as the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s.  The distortion makes this music kind of sound like L7, yet the vocals in ways and the keys make it sound more upbeat so I’m not quite sure what to make of it here.  Should I compare it to the Donnas or would that be too obvious?  I mean, should I just throw all the names I can of female fronted rock bands that I can?  Sahara Hotnights will be the last one because I’m not sure if anyone will remember them or not.

<2> “Last Night” – This has been previously reviewed as a single here: http://raisedbygypsies.blogspot.com/2013/04/mp3-review-suzy-blu-last-night-single.html  I’m listening to it again anyway though. 

<3> “Zombie (Grimiss Remix)” – Oh, this song begins like Silverchair with the guitar part.  Now the vocals are coming in all dreamy, and it then kicks in a bit.  How many thought this would be a Cranberries cover?  How many also thought it said it was remixed by Grimes?  Tricky trickery indeed.  This is definitely dream pop though.  Think That Dog meets )Videotape( and let’s say Smashing Pumpkins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment