Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Suffering Astrid “Aeon”

                Every time I hear Suffering Astrid, I feel like I am hearing them for the first time.   The fact that this music can remain somehow fresh in my mind with every play has to speak volumes about it on the whole.

                On “Aeon”, we are treated with instrumental distorted fuzz that has an overall feel of drone to it.    This isn’t your typical instrumental music that could come off as ambient however, simply because it has a darker quality buried deep inside and, no, I don’t mean dark ambient either.

                These songs still bring to mind “The Fragile” era of Nine Inch Nails (some songs on that album are instrumental or really close) in the sense that it can have this industrial metal feel to it, yet it’s not quite all the way into the mind of Trent Reznor and perhaps stays grounded in more ways than not.


                What really caught me off guard on “Aeon” though is that it can become disturbingly eerie at times.   Even without vocals (which sometimes intensifies it), this music can be downright eerie.    In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the soundtrack to a horror movie and, well, I couldn’t think of any better reason to listen to this than that.

http://sufferingastrid1.bandcamp.com/album/aeon
Name Your Price Download

No comments:

Post a Comment