Friday, July 12, 2013

CD REVIEW: The Consolation Project “Infinite Healing”

                On “Infinite Healing”, The Consolation Project shows the world what it is to be new wave in the new millennia.    I often like to refer to music as being “new wave” or “that 1990’s kind of rock”, terms like shoegaze come up and I even compare music to that of what was fitting for a movie soundtrack such as The Breakfast Club or Pretty in Pink.

                While “Infinite Healing” is a great example of all of those, it is also a lesson in how music can change you as a listener and as a person. 

                Often times when I interview bands I’ll ask them or make some sort of reference to their name.   The thing is, with The Consolation Project—I get it.   And not only is this a way for the music maker to console, it is also a means of the listener’s reconciliation.    That was one of the first things that really drew me to this.   I do believe that as a musician you should be making music with a purpose.  

                Now, please don’t hold this against me, but many of the songs by, say, The Beatles were pop songs with very little meaning outside of love.   But they can evoke emotions in you that are important and so for that they remain as relevant as someone such as Neil Young who has such powerful lyrics. 

                Hoping I didn’t lose everyone on The Beatles comment, the idea of “Infinite Healing” pairs with the band name quite well.   So it should be no coincidence that after letting this all settle in my brain for a while (And after numerous enjoyable listens), I consider this album to take place in a hospital.


                My idea is that at first, this person is singing to an unknown patient, but as we progress the person realizes that the patient is himself.    It might sound cheesy or cliché to say, but when I opened my eyes to this album that is what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment