Friday, July 12, 2013

CD REVIEW: White Poppy “Drifters Gold” (Constellation Tatsu)

                Why do humans have only two legs?  Sure, we have arms and all, but have you ever stopped to wonder why we walk upright on two legs, yet other animals walk on all fours?  Some animals only have two legs and no arms.  The only one that comes to mind is a member of the bird family, but still, nature is weird.
                Do you feel like if humans were still used to walking on all fours, we would be faster for it?   Imagine how much differently our society would look if that was the case!  I wonder if such a parallel universe exists out there in any science fiction stories. 
                What makes me bring all of this up is the simple fact of one of my notes about this album.   I’ve been listening to a lot of shoegaze since I really started transforming Raised by Gypsies, but what’s more so is that a lot of said shoegaze has been fronted by female vocals.
                I made a note about this album being female fronted shoegaze; only it has enough legs to stand on its own.   Rather than picturing a human walking on all fours, I pictured a human with normal arms but many legs like some sort of octopus hybrid. 
                When I’m not playing God in nature and forming octo-humans, I can tell you that this music can be quite faint.   The vocals are there, ala Mazzy Star and many other bands that I listen to and enjoy (and hopefully you do as well, if you’re reading this) whilst the music can be very ambient and dreamy, especially when it is instrumental.
                Another wrinkle in your brain, another band in your record collection, another t-shirt in your closet.   White Poppy is the real deal and there ain’t no frontin’ on that.

http://ctatsu.bandcamp.com/album/drifters-gold

No comments:

Post a Comment