Sunday, June 2, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Shark Town s/t

Shark Town s/t
Name Your Price Download

                I really do like this album (it’s eight songs in total).   It reminds me of Barenaked Ladies at times, or some other bands I don’t want to admit to knowing what they sound like.   But ultimately this band reminds me of The Hold Steady, which is not at all a bad thing, as much as they can kind of change up their sound from song to song.

                The lyrics can sometimes be a bit odd, but I think that will help them distinguish themselves in the long run.  And, well, they’re not so completely out there that people will be turned away by them.   I also like to think of the lyrics as being like a Billy Joel song. 

                On the first song, “The Battle of Frogtown”, you can hear this sort of “Piano Man” type storytelling vibe in the lyrics.   As the album goes on, it’s not quite the same, but yes, I still hear a lot of Billy Joel in this.

                I would also like to note that based on the first song I cannot help from imagining a bunch of sharks fighting with a bunch of frogs.  The frogs never stood a chance.

                So while I may simply break this down into “Billy Joel fronting The Hold Steady”, there are a number of other qualities within this music that I just can’t describe about it all and it’s best just for you to listen to it and hear for yourself.   It is really quite good so you won’t be upset when you listen to it, but rather pleased at the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment