Sunday, June 2, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Boxed Wine “Cheap, Fun”

Boxed WineCheap, Fun
Name Your Price Download
                I’ve been following this band since their demo and EP that came before this and I really hadn’t heard them in a while, so I wasn’t sure what to expect exactly from this debut full length.
                When the first song comes on and throughout the rest of the album, you get this pretty upbeat pop indie rock that if it stepped up a notch could get on my nerves.   The thing with “Cheap, Fun” though is that it’s not overly catchy or obnoxious like a lot of the bands that I want to compare it to (Phoenix and Passion Pit come to mind).

                Being someone of my general mood, it is very easy for me to get annoyed with music that sounds happy.  Even when I am happy, I don’t want to run around singing happy songs.  I don’t know what it is about me, but even if it was the happiest moment of my life I’d probably still be rocking a song (Even if it is closer to being upbeat) with sad lyrics. 

                With Boxed Wine though, this isn’t that “Hey, look at me, I’m in your face and we’re about to make you either dance or throw up” attitude.   It’s something that you could dance to, sure, but if you don’t you’re not going to necessarily look as if you’re not enjoying it.   (And despite what the Millencolin song says, I am not really going to learn how to dance)

                This is the feel good album of the summer.  It came out before the summer, sure, but I expect to hear this blasted throughout the beaches and around swimming pools.   Okay, maybe not me personally because outside is overrated, but you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment