Wednesday, May 1, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: The Illegal Wiretaps “Venus Colony, Section Alpha-0110110”

The Illegal Wiretaps Venus Colony, Section Alpha-0110110
Name Your Price Download

                While browsing around the internet for notes about Venus and Adonis, the mythological characters, not only did I learn that mythology is not my strong point, as they are actually Greek and I would have guessed Roman if you gave me the option, but I also learned that Venus and Adonis is also the name of a poem by William Shakespeare.

                Not only is it the name of a poem by Shakespeare, but it is considered to be the single work in which Shakespeare has his most depicting tale of sex.    Yes, my friends, this poem makes Showtime after dark look like The Brady Bunch. 

                None of this is really pertinent to the review, however, as Venus and Adonis was a different album altogether and I’m not even sure if this one is related to it or it just happens to have Venus in the name.

                In any event, these songs begin very much in a techno way, so as to make me put terms in my notes such as “electro trip hop” and “jungle beats”.   But as we progress out of the jungle, which is a somewhat suitable setting for this story, we end up going into space.

                Yes, while in the Shakespearian poem, young Adonis goes off to hunt, this album ultimately makes me think about being in outer space for some reason.   Forget Greek mythology.   Forget going deep into the jungles to hunt (or not hunt).   This is what I shall lovingly dub The Illegal Wiretaps’ space rock opera.   It definitely has a sci-fi feel to it and, well, the idea of Shakespeare in Space is somewhat intriguing to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment