Tuesday, February 5, 2013

SBSR: Sledding With Tigers “The Arrested Cats”

Sledding With TigersThe Arrested Cats
<1> “The Kids Will Be Alright, Eventually” – The first time I heard this song it became my new anthem.  I’ve listened to it about a thousand times since then.  The acoustic rock is angry, but the lyrics really get me.   “Cause every single night I have a couple hundred thoughts running through my brain” True dat, yo.  “I know I’m disappointing so I’m sorry mom” I need that stitched on a throw pillow so I can give it to my mother for Mother’s Day or her birthday or something.   “I know I’m lucky to be here today” Also true.   This song just belts out the fury.   Can I somehow get this as my ringtone for when my mom calls me?  Or at least the “good for nothing’ bridge?   I could listen to this song a million times in a row and never grow tired of it.
<2> “Carmel Mountain” – We begin with some strings, which is nice.  Actually, it’s about nine on a Saturday.   This song is about being young and having nothing to do.   He says it’s better than another lonely night at home though, and when I was in my early 20s I could’ve easily related to this.   (Now I’m too lazy)  A Denny’s reference and the incredible line “Too excited to sit, too tired to stand”   This reminds me of one of the slower Yellowcard songs from their first album.   I can’t get the Yellowcard tune in my head right now though, I’m too busy to look it up and it doesn’t really matter either because here comes the next song.   Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
<3> “Going to Stockton” - Ack, snow!!  Where is Stockton?  I’d guess California, but all I know is of John Stockton.   Stockton to Malone… Jazz wins!! JAZZ WINS!!!  This song would be great for driving if I ever drove anymore.    Oh, San Francisco can suck it, eh?  Now every other city can suck it?   Like I care.  I don’t have a home town any more, I’m a freaking gypsy.
<4> “Going to San Diego” – Who is this guy, the main character in the Dr. Seuss book “Oh, the Places You’ll Go”?   This song feels like an accompaniment to the previous track, and before I just looked it up (When I’d just be listening), I always thought that these two songs were just one really long song.   Must be why I always felt like this EP had fewer songs than it really does. 
<5> “Valentimes is Serious Times” – A song about a not real holiday, but hey, we get a harmonica, so let’s go.   So long as you don’t have an armory in your trunk.   [Editor’s Note:  Was that a Blues Traveler reference?]  “I spent Valentine’s Day writing songs I’m probably going to forget.  I didn’t even write one down” – Best quote about V-Day EVER.  “I’ve been to the darkest places when I’m feeling all alone.  But I’ve got friends, that’s what matters when I’m feeling all alone”   Way to point out that I don’t have any friends, buddy.   Makes me feel like a champ.  “I refuse to let myself pity myself any more” Okay, let’s go with that instead.  And now some girl is singing these great lyrics with him and, yes, if V-Day ever got an official anthem this would be it.   Now to listen to the first song again.
                I remember liking “Being Nice is Still Cool”, but not this much.   Wow, just wow.   Time to review the whole catalog of Sledding With Tigers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment