Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Television Review: Love Season One (Netflix)


The thing about "Love", as a show, is that I kind of always knew that I was going to watch it I just didn't know when.   But since I had most everything else on my plate watched I decided to start into this show and it made for a nice binge as it didn't really take me that long to go through.    I've been a fan of Judd Apatow since "Freaks and Geeks" really, which I will continue to point out that I watched in real time, even when the episodes moved to Saturday nights.    This show though isn't like "Freaks and Geeks" though, it's more like that movie "This is 40" except the characters aren't quite that old.

First off, the main character in here is played by Paul Rust and no matter how much I look over his IMDb page I just can't help but feel like I should have seen something he has been in before but I have not.   Gillian Jacobs is in here though and she's really what drew me to this show.   Surprise on her character: she's still a fuck up.    I've literally told my television at least twenty times while watching this first season "Boy, you really Britta'ed that one!"

So the two main characters both come out of horrible relationships at the beginning of the first episode and then somehow find each other.   They start a relationship and go through the ups and downs of it- some of which are better than others- and by the end, Mickey (as played by Gillian Jacobs) admits to Gus (as played by Paul Rust) that she is a love addict, a drug addict, a sex addict, etc. and he decides to kiss her so it looks like they're getting back together.    That's probably the worst thing he could have done at that point in time, but he kind of has a reputation for doing the worst possible things.

I also feel like this is more like "This is 40" because of the awkward moments like in one of the first episodes when Gus is about to have a threesome and then the two girls reveal to him that they are sisters.    Yeah, not really as kid friendly as "Freaks and Geeks" but also different stories for different times, I suppose.

My review of "The Ranch" noted that the newest of Netflix series break down like this: 1) "Flaked", 2) "Love", 3) "The Ranch" and that isn't just the order that I watched them in.   Is it wrong to say that "Love" isn't as good as "Flaked" but isn't as bad as "The Ranch"?   I mean, this show gives you characters but they're not really characters you can invest in.   If you can relate to either Gus or Mickey I suggest you seek some serious therapy.   But they don't even have that appeal where people look at car wrecks to see the damage, you know?

This show is somewhat funny and as I've said with other shows in the past it may just take a few seasons before we really become invested in these characters (And by "we" I mean "me"), but luckily Netflix doesn't really cancel its show and this is coming back for a second season so I'll watch it and see where it takes us.   I'll probably complain but it was likely I was going to do that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment