Tuesday, June 23, 2015

CD Review: Run "Fly" (Weird Cry Records)

[$8 // https://weirdcry.bandcamp.com/album/fly]

I've come to not really know what to expect from Weird Cry Records because my first time listening to something from them was Patrick Shiroishi who can best be described as experimental without me rewriting that review and then we have a compact disc such as Char-Man which was quite different than anything I'd consider to be "experimental".   So, for me, this CD really could have gone into any genre at this point and I just wasn't sure where it would be.

Run finds their music somewhere on the side of rock n roll with a bit of thrash mixed in as well.   It's between Sprung Monkey and Christiansen with that riot-like punk atmosphere just as well.   There's screaming like As Friends Rust and it also reminds me of 1000 Mona Lisas at times and other times I'm just hearing the Cheap Trick song which opened "That 70's Show" all those years back.   It's a cross between the Stooges and something else with a little bit of sass- I'm thinking Joan Jett.

This is a good mix of rock and punk where it just doesn't sound directly like anything else I've heard but it certainly has a lot of energy.    If you're into music that rocks and rocks hard then I would find your way to this CD but then again, what the fuck do I know?  (And yes, that is just a play on their lyrics, so don't read too much into it please)







No comments:

Post a Comment