Thursday, May 21, 2015

MP3 Review: Winter "Supreme Blue Dream"


[$10 to Download // $5 on Cassette from Lollipop Records // https://daydreamingwinter.bandcamp.com/album/supreme-blue-dream]

When I heard about Winter releasing a new album I was rather excited.   Not only had I done a song-by-song review of "Daydreaming" but I also reviewed it as a cassette.    If you have been following this site since then or at least have managed to find your way here and taken my two suggestions as to listen to Winter then you would be right there with me, eagerly anticipating the release of this new album, "Supreme Blue Dream".    Now I know you're probably thinking to yourself, "But, gypsy dude, this came out in February... Why are you just getting to it now?"  And I have no excuses.   I have no good reasons for not writing about this until now.   In hindsight, I probably could have listened to an advance copy of this and wrote about it before it even came out if I really wanted to do so.   I could have at least had something written during the week that it came out, maybe even the same month.    But here we are.  three and a half months later and I'm finally writing about it.

The only reason it has taken me this long to write about "Supreme Blue Dream" is because I have simply been listening to it and enjoying every second of it.    You know, I write about music but I write about other things as well.  And sometimes you get those thoughts in your head of "Should I write about this or not" and as I have these experiences in life I feel like I am old enough now and have been writing long enough to know whether or not I'm going to write about something after it's happened.   I either have an idea and can make the words or I can't.    This happens a lot with movies because even if I enjoy a particular movie by the end of it and even the next day as I'm thinking about it, I might just not have enough to write as to justify reviewing it.     But as a writer, yes, it is always there in the back of my mind that I'm going to either write about something or not.    It's always a question.

As far as music goes, there is almost never any doubt in my mind that I am going to review music after I listen to it.   If I hear something I don't like I won't review it because I'm about promoting the good and not critiquing the bad (plus, different strokes for different folks and all that) but if I'm listening to something and enjoying it- especially as much as I have been with this album- then I know it's just a matter of time before I review it, so I always have those thoughts running through my head of what to do in terms of writing a review of it.   Only with "Supreme Blue Dream", that didn't happen.   I was listening to this album but not really ever thinking of an angle, if you will, as to review it.   In some ways, I guess it's like listening to something that I've already reviewed because I kind of push those review thoughts out of my head.   And the fact that it has that familiarity to it just goes to show you how amazing it truly is.

If you are not yet aware of the drum machines that blend with dreamy psych bliss to create the soulful melodies of Winter then I suggest you listen to "Supreme Blue Dream" and hear what you've been missing.   This album- this band, really- is like opening up a door, it's going through the looking glass and when you're in there normal rules don't apply.   When you come back out, you're simply not the same.    That's probably why it took me so long to write this because even though I see most pieces of music as "albums to review", I didn't see this one that way (nor did I see it as "an album I don't want to review); it is something completely new and different on just so many levels.   To say you need to experience this for yourself would be a drastic understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment