Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cassette Review: Zach Bryson "Where Everybody Is Somebody" (Captain Crook Records)


[SOLD OUT // Edition of 10 // https://captaincrookrecords.bandcamp.com/album/where-everybody-is-somebody]

This isn't my first time hearing Zach Bryson and oddly enough his "Ain't It Hard Times" album appears as Side B of this cassette.    I'm not the number one country fan or anything, but I recently did pick up a fairly large box of cassettes from the library for free and there are quite a few country ones in there so I think I should look more into the genre (maybe).   In any case, I will try to review this with my knowledge of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, George Jones, Merle Haggard and little else in country.

These are six songs and he really bolts them out.   They could be honky tonk, but I saw this video once where someone went around asking everyone what "honky tonk" was and no one seemed to know.    There is yodelling and if there is such a thing as a country power ballad then Mr. Bryson has found it and mastered it.    Also, there is a song about the Georgia Line which makes me long for the warmth of the south and also seems to be in true country form.

What I find interesting about this cassette as well, in contrast to that of the Slade and the Big Nothing cassette I just listened to, Zach Bryson sings about being saved, reading the Bible and all of that which you expect to go with country music and just all around America.   The song actually spells out the word "S-A-V-E-D" and then there are also other words in the song which are spelled out for you and so it is important to pay close attention to follow along there.

After the cassette concludes on Side A there seems to be a hidden song and then a brief moment of outtakes, which can be heard as saying that can be for the "b roll" I think.   It's a nice way to fill out the side in that sense, as sometimes cassettes tend to just leave blank space, and it is also nice to have another Zach Bryson album on Side B, which I own in and of itself but it might be sold out so this could be your chance to score it on cassette too!

It's like a good old fashioned truck stop country twofer!

        Oh.  Wait.   Right.    This one is sold out now too.   Sorry about that.






No comments:

Post a Comment