Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Casssette Review: Bode Radio "Muun" b/w Cringes "Clean It, Recycle It, Give It Back to the World" (Impossible Colors)


[ $2 // Edition of 75 // https://impossiblecolorsrecs.bandcamp.com/album/impossible-colors-club-bode-radio-muun-b-w-cringes-clean-it-recycle-it-give-it-back-to-the-world]

This is the third installment in what is called the "Impossible Colors Club" and as such I somehow missed the second one but I'm not  entirely certain as to whether or not I should be concerned about that.      We follow the format here of two songs, two bands and as such this is a split cassingle.    Going into this one, unlike the first, I must admit though that I've never heard of either of these bands before and that isn't a bad thing (New music can be good, broadening your horizons and all that)

Bode Radio is full of cymbal crashes.   Their song is instrumental and has that ambient hue to it that just glows.   The beats can get fast and I'm thinking Prodigy because clearly if it kicks in with vocals it will speak tales of being the firestarter (the twisted firestarter)   I don't know if it's a reflection of the song itself or my constant listening to music such as this song but to me it just somehow feels condensed.   I feel like this could have been the side of a full length in the sense that it could have stretched over maybe twenty minutes, roughly, yet instead was kind of crushed down into a much smaller space.    In that way too (but on a slightly larger scale) I feel as if it is a sampling of what Bode Radio can do in the way you might hear a snipet of a song instead of the entire piece.     Whatever the case this is good, sure, but I'd like to hear a full length from Bode Radio where this sound is expanded upon.

On the flip side we have Cringes who opens up with some guitar notes that could see this going anywhere from emo to pop punk, but eventually they're just built upon and give off an overall FNL feel.     It's the general feel of dreamy guitar loops, instrumental style, and it resembles any number of artists I've heard before (For some reason, I really want to place it with Stars Are Insane and that whole movement happening over there)    It's a nice song for sure but would have to be presented with the utmost care if attempted as a full length or even EP because it could run the risk of becoming repetitive.

Going based on what I have, I'll say this is a departure from the first cassingle split which had Videotape on it.     But if you want to give Videotape a general tag, such as shoegaze for example, then I'm kind of glad that Impossible Colors chose to go this route with this cassingle split because it sends the message that they are not going to be known as a shoegaze label or at least this club won't all be shoegaze.

Basically, I'm trying to say that this cassette here shows that Impossible Colors (who are quite possibly up there as much a part of this as the artists contributing their songs) is in no way going to limit the music they put out by genre, though they might just limit it to what is good because so far I have yet to really hear a bad song out of this.








No comments:

Post a Comment