Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cassette Review: Zaimph & Yek Koo "l'interieur de la vue" (Obsolete Units)


http://obsoleteunits.com/available/

When I first saw this cassette I thought it was a split, which makes a lot more sense, but when I listened to it and read the linear notes I realized it was actually a collaboration.   If you had told me that Zaimph and Yek Koo- two of my favorite artists- had created a split cassette I'd be rather excited.   Actually, when I was searching Discogs for whatever reason and happened upon this I was rather excited.    But to think of this as a collaboration as opposed to just a split makes me punch-somebody-in-the-face excited.

Through whooshes and space whirrs, feedback comes out with the sound of a trumpet (Because I know it's a trumpet based on past experiences) which more closely resembles what happens when you drag a chair across a certain floor surface.     This immediately reminds me of why both Zaimph and Yek Koo are two of my favorite artists- possibly ever- and to miss anything by any single one of them should be a crime.

Bells ring and we go into a mixture of "Flight of the Bumblebee" with those "Psycho" undertones.    Electronic crackling takes us into beats and lightsabers.   This just both mystical and magical at the same time which is not an easy combination to pull off by any means.

With all of my review experience I cannot believe I'm trying to sell you on a Zaimph and Yek Koo collaboration.    At this point in my life and your life the decision to purchase this cassette and listen to it should really be a no-brainer.








No comments:

Post a Comment