Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cassette Review: A.G. Davis "Audio Works" (Obsolete Units)


http://obsoleteunits.com/available/

Am I the only one who constantly sees "A.G. Davis" as Ann B. Davis?  No?  Just me?  Okay, let's move on then.

"Audio Works" begins with an audio clip and then there is bubbly water speaking like Doctor Who somehow.   It's piano-esque and experimental with spoken word.   As we flip to the second side there are jumbled electro sounds and bells.   This makes me think of Lost in Space and there is also a certain bass sound going on here as well.

Elements of both Jay Peele and Stephanie Lak come out before some buzzing form of talking which leads me to conclude there is some sort of race of human and bee hybrid.   Though weird, it is still enjoyable nonetheless.    Through woo frequencies, a number of beeps come on which sound as if we are being interupted on a radio broadcast by a special bulletin.

To me, this just combines some modern techniques of noise and electronics with the pre-television era radio vibe and I'm definitely enjoying it because I will always appreciate anything in the vein of old timey radio.







No comments:

Post a Comment