Wednesday, August 27, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: The Guru "Pretty Things" (Rubber Brother Records)


            When this cassette starts all I can think of is how pretty it is, and the title says just that.   It’s got this indie/emo sort of vibe to it, mixed with Garrison and The Casket Lottery.   There is a lot of energy behind this music, yet it is also melodic for days.

            I’ll admit I know that The Guru is a band from Connecticut (So, local to me) and even though I had heard of them I only ever remember downloading one of their releases and only sort of liking it.   For reasons I can’t remember right now, I recall it being more of an acoustic rock based vibe like a lesser version of the Violent Femmes.

            Yet, at the same time, I’ve always been a fan of what Rubber Brother Records has been releasing on cassette and I felt like if this was truly the band that I only sort of remember listening to one time a while back, then certainly an upstanding label such as Rubber Brother Records wouldn’t take the time or efforts to release them on cassette.

            What you’re going to take away most from this cassette is that the songs are not necessarily radio hits per se, but they have this catchy quality to them where they get impregnated into your brain.   Things such as “feeling my age” will be stuck in your head until the next time you listen to “Pretty Things” again.

            I still don’t fully enjoy living in Connecticut again and I may never fully enjoy being back here, but knowing that we have this one band and to at least be able that The Guru is from CT, well, I can hold my head up a little bit higher now.  










No comments:

Post a Comment