Tuesday, July 15, 2014

RECORD REVIEW: Sunken “New Zealand Eels” (Emerald Cocoon)


                Everything about this record screams “ocean” to me before I even play it, whether it be the idea of sunken treasure being placed in my head or the fact that eels tend to live in oceans or at least I think they do.   So it doesn’t really come as much of a surprise to me when the first song has these sad strings in it, which remind me of whale songs on some level, and thus my first instinct is to compare this with Moby Dick. 

                As it progresses throughout these songs though, those sad strings do resurface they just don’t have the same whale sound as before and my mind has moved on from the original nautical theme I thought this record presented. 

                There are definitely some loops in here and the songs are mostly instrumental, though on the second one there is some sort of muffled singing.   I read somewhere that it might have been made using a broken baby monitor, or maybe it was just some of the other sounds, but in any case that’s pretty cool.

                You must also note that in the second song there is acoustic guitar plucking and then a trippy sort of drone that becomes enchanting.   This sticks with the idea on the first song of being in the ocean, simply because it can hypnotize you in a similar pattern that waves can.  

                It isn’t until the third song that I believe we begin moving out of the water.   By the end, there are distinct noises of aliens coming through and it just loses anything it once had in a nautical sense.   There is also some sort of singing on the last song, though it is more of a tribal chant, like something Native Americans would have done, and that just throws me for another loop.

                One of the most perhaps farfetched yet somewhat accurate stories I could paint about this record is that it is based upon a planet that is not Earth, but there are humans there, native settlers such as America in pre-Christopher Columbus times.   It is also 90% water based, so there isn’t much land, and this introduction to the planet is being told by eels.

                Regardless of how that story may sound, it gets the imagination going and that’s reason enough for me to truly appreciate and enjoy this record. 





No comments:

Post a Comment