Friday, May 23, 2014

CD REVIEW: Forrest “Senescence” (I, Absentee)


                I will be the first to admit that when I listen to music that is both ambient and instrumental, I tend to paint a picture in my mind as to the story it is telling and this is sometimes influenced by either the band name or album title, maybe even a song title if you will.

                However, on this CD by Forrest, I couldn’t be farther from the trees when listening to “Senescence”.   The ambient drone does nothing to make me think about wandering around the woods, or nature in that sense in general, but that’s okay.

                What I’m actually hearing in here instead is the sound of someone being lost at sea.  That is simply the best way to describe this.   Quiet.  Isolation.  Slight waves crashing, pushing you back and forth if you’re on a raft or maybe piece of rubble, whatever is keeping you afloat.    And though you think this might evoke panic, it is rather calm. 







No comments:

Post a Comment