Friday, May 23, 2014

CD REVIEW: Chiodos “Devil”


                When I began writing about music, I was in love with Equal Vision Records.   They had all of my favorite bands on their roster, and then they added this young upstart in Chiodos who just blew my mind with “All’s Well That Ends Well”.   Then they released “Bone Palace Ballet” and took it to a whole new level.

                After that, the other members of the band parted ways with Craig Owens (to put it nicely) and they seemingly went in different directions.  I listened to some of the music Craig Owens was putting out, as I remember D.R.U.G.S. being rather good, but I never listened to what was only known as “Chiodos without Craig”.

                Those two albums Chiodos had put out really changed my life, musically and more, and to this day they are still albums I go to at various moments and just overall have stood the test of time for me, which is always important.

                Regardless of what has gone on in between, this is what I will consider to be the third Chiodos album, and it picks up where “Bone Palace Ballet” left off.   Somehow, in years to come, this will be looked back upon and the gap between them will most likely not even be remembered.

                What’s funny is, when I put this album on for the first time, my two year old son immediately stopped what he was doing and began dancing along.  He is of the generation that will one day listen to these three Chiodos albums (and hopefully more to come) and not pay as much attention to the space between them.

                Oh, and in regards to how this sounds compared to other Chiodos albums, it does also seem to crank it up a notch and become a bit heavier/angrier.  And since it is what it is, why the heck not. 











No comments:

Post a Comment