Tuesday, May 20, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Little Debbie “Debbie's Polished Turds” (Teen Action Records)

            There exists a rapper called Little Debbie, or maybe it's “Li'l Debbie”, I'm not sure- but this is not the rapper.   And sadly, the rapper, from what I'm told doesn't have lyrics about snack cakes at all, which is unfortunate because I could probably make a book of rhymes about “Fuck Hostess / I'm the emcee with the mostess” or mixing up Entemann's with being the man.

            In any case, this is hardcore ambient.   This is instru-metal.  And in the less clever creation of categories, it could also be experi-metal.    It is dark and brooding, with deep vocals.  Side A features the line on repeat “You are hypnotized” and I am inclined to believe it.

            There are some actual musical markers in these songs, staples such as Joy Division and The Doors shine through, and as we near the end of Side B we get some hip hop type beats and I'm wondering if this isn't the rapper I once thought it might be.   (If so, someone please release iLL LiaD o n cassette.   Hell, release iLL on cassette anyway)+

            It will never cease to amaze me how different aspects of this same ambient vibe can be portrayed, as some can just be so extremely quiet you have to wonder if there's anything there at all, and others can be as opposite of that as this Little Debbie, which still totally rocks.





No comments:

Post a Comment