Friday, May 30, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Graves. “Two Months Here” (Lion Sounds and Tiger Noises Records)


            I write all of my music notes out by hand, and when reviewing more than one release by the same artist I tend to listen to one of the releases, take notes and actually compose the first review before embarking upon a second.   This is done for a number of reasons, but with most reviews- and graves. is no exception here- I have two pages in a notebook next to each other often times filled with notes on the same artist.

            So when I was listening to “Two Months Here” on cassette, I couldn’t help but notice notes next to it for the other graves. cassette I reviewed, which will likely have been posted long before this as it is already in draft mode.  

            On the whole, this cassette features long, instrumental songs of post rock that definitely bring out the FNL.   It is quite good for what it is, but I can’t help but notice based upon my adjacent notes how it is different from “We Could Stand Here, Silent and Still”.   It is not that it is better or worse, I’m just not sure I can recall a band having two releases sounding so different. 

            In some ways, I feel like this makes this cassette seem so much more valuable to the other one, in that they go together like peanut butter and jelly or what have you.   Even though it was not my chosen method though, I would suggest listening to this cassette first and then “We Could Stand Here, Silent and Still” afterwards for optimal effect.  






No comments:

Post a Comment