Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Whoovez “Bantamweight” (Seizure Man)


            From the moment I pressed play on Side A until this cassette ended, I was engrossed but somehow not sure what to describe this as exactly.   It’s not quite pop punk, and it’s not quite screamo but it is somewhere in between those two ideas for sure.    The lyrics are right on and I’m actually thinking of merging styles to call this one “indie math”, but I don’t know if that’s going to do it justice.

            The two easiest bands for me to compare this with is it being a mixture of Piebald and blink 182, but I know some people will most likely take that the wrong way because to them blink 182 isn’t “cool”, whereas I kind of stopped paying attention to them as much after “Dude Ranch”, so I really don’t know about all that negativity.   Basically, when I drop that name I only do so based on their album “Dude Ranch” and what came before that.  (Oh, to have “Cheshire Cat” on cassette)

            The second side of this cassette also has some more instrumental pieces to it, as well as an audio clip about being able to change an idea over a belief which I immediately recognized as being from the movie “Dogma”.   For whatever reason though, I thought of it as being the scene when they’re at the table outside Mooby’s, when in actuality they were on the train.

            So, yes, Whoovez is something that might not be explained so easily, but it is still good and though it seems to jump around a lot it is a controlled sort of chaos and I’m really digging it.  








1 comment:

  1. You can also listen to this band on Bandcamp http://whoovez.bandcamp.com

    ReplyDelete