Friday, April 11, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Thisquietarmy “Crowsanne” (Dead Vox)


            This is not my first time hearing thisquietarmy, but it does make a lot of sense to me for this music to be on cassette.   When I initially saw that thisquietarmy had a tape released on Dead Vox, I could only help but think what a perfect combination it was.    Though, admittedly, I feel like the majority of the music that I listen to would sound great on cassette.  There are probably only a handful of bands I actually listen to that I wouldn’t want to hear on cassette for various reasons, but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss bands that are fortunate to not have been born decades earlier.

            Within these ambient and quiet songs comes a breath of fresh air.  There are FNL moments at times, for sure, but then it also can get pretty distorted.  There are static bits that remind me of fog and then these clanking beats as if a monster is about to appear out of the mist.

            If nothing else, thisquietarmy has always had a way with helping you to see this music and not just hear it and feel it.  There has been this level added from a 2D to 3D way, and I’m not sure anyone does it better than thisquietarmy.   Of course, you know I would probably say this, but this is all also only enhanced by the fact that this is on cassette tape.    Yes, I do feel like the search terms “thisquietarmy” + “cassette” should be enough to sell this.






No comments:

Post a Comment