Friday, April 11, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Larkian “Selected drones” (Dead Vox)


            What Larkian promises on “Selected drones” is delivered and with style.  There are portions of this cassette where the pace picks up a little bit, the beats come in on some level and it’s even borderline Knight Rider, just on the outside of making that sound there.   But this is, for all intents and purposes, drone music.

            People who do not understand drone music can see it as being a contest of how long you can hold a single note.  Granted, at one point I thought that was true as well.  I listened to some rather bad drone music in my time and thought, “Hey, I could make that”.   Who doesn’t have a keyboard (or app) where they can hold their finger down on a note of their choosing? 

            It seems pretty easy when you think and, yes, I have tried to make it myself, but whenever I’ve put the songs together- even in layers- they just never seem to come out right.  They always feel like they’re missing something.  

            While that special element in creating the perfect drone music eludes me (and I’m fine with that), it in no way is lost on Larkian, as this is amongst some of the best I have ever heard and if anything better for the fact that it is on cassette,    This may very well become the measuring stick for which I use against all other drone music from here on out.  






No comments:

Post a Comment