Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: These Branches “Beliefs” (Driftwood Records)


            These Branches offer up four hardcore punk songs (or maybe punk hardcore songs) that are fast, short and melodic.  They take me back to a time when I was listening to a lot of hardcore because I feel like at that time hardcore was really evolving and doing things it hadn’t done before.   This was a time when I got a Ferretstyle sampler on CD and it had bands like Stretch Arm Strong and Skycamefalling on it, amongst others.   Admittedly, that was at a time when CDs had pretty much already taken over, but I did deep down inside wish (and still do) that I had that sampler on cassette instead of compact disc.

            Many hardcore bands these days are simply copies of better bands that existed once years ago or maybe even do still play shows.  These Branches are a throwback to something from the early ‘00’s, yet they remind us why hardcore can be passionate and have a purpose and I don’t think that will ever be overdone, so kudos.  







No comments:

Post a Comment