Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Thelma and the Sleaze “The Palmela Handerson EP”


            This is four song cassette, two songs per side, and when I first put it on I could hear a bit of Veruca Salt coming out, yet since the most popular VS song out there is probably “Seether”, I almost wrote that name down instead which would have made for quite the different comparison, no?

            The second song on Side A is a live cover of “Are U That Somebody” (R.I.P. Aaliyah) and it’s not the best recording of it, but it gets the job done and I can still appreciate it.  What I don’t understand is why after the song the track keeps recording to inform us that Thelma and the Sleaze have merch for sale and what not.   Does it really matter how many songs they have left if we’re not going to hear them?

            I guess it only really annoys me though because it hints at the fact that the entire set from that night was recorded and if that is true why don’t I have that cassette also?  (Not rhetorical)
            Side B offers up two songs of rock n roll.  The second is almost like Kiss, which is odd to type, with some organ sounding blues mixed in.  Maybe if Little Richard somehow replaced Gene Simmons?   The first song is almost a heavier rock n roll and I can only think it sounds like something off of the “Wayne’s World” soundtrack, which is rad because I used to… wait for it… have that on cassette as well!  (It might still be in my parents’ attic somewhere, who knows)

            For a live song plus three other solid songs, I don’t care what Thelma is asking you to pay for this tape, you give your money to The Sleaze!!





No comments:

Post a Comment