Friday, April 18, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Narrator “Twin Warmths” (J Ross Select)


                Some stories are harder to tell than others.  With Narrator, the cassette “Twin Warmths” tells a story that should be quite clear to anyone willing to listen.   It begins with a spaceship, as there are definitely sounds of lasers and spaceship waves.  Through the organ piano and audio clips, I will let you interpret as you will what exactly is going down on this space adventure, though I certainly have my own theories.

                We then journey into the sound of static, beeping sonar and ultimately there are some vocals to end Side A, which in a lot of ways reminds me of how that one part of the space shuttle returns to Earth and then detaches and lands in the ocean. 

                On Side B, there are some weird, chopped up sort of vocals before moving into the alarm sound of what can be found on the iPhone ringtone choices or what I always imagine as blaring over the speakers at a military camp when the war is on.  (Perhaps I need to watch more M*A*S*H).   Needless to say, this brings to mind that the news from space was not positive and thus, the aliens are invading.

                Why does my mind always wander to space and aliens?  Have I watched too many sci-fi movies or read too many sci-fi books?   Do I secretly want the aliens to come out and play?  Whatever the case, the important point here is that this cassette can bring to life different things for different people perhaps, sure, but ultimately it does jar the imagination and that’s an accomplishment in and of itself. 







No comments:

Post a Comment