Friday, April 18, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: You’ll Never Get to Heaven “Adorn”


            When I was a kid growing up, I got a lot of pop albums on cassette.  I’m talking Milli Vanilli, New Kids on the Block and other names I will refrain from mentioning.  As I got older, I bought hip hop on cassette.   Somehow, the music that was perhaps the best overall sound in the 1980’s and even on cassette in general eluded me.   Needless to say, I am always seeking out bands like Talking Heads on cassette to kind of recollect my childhood on some level, if you will.

            If I was an adult in the 1980’s and not a baby, I would have most certainly had the cassette collection back then that I am slowly building today via thrift stores and tag sales.   If I had that collection back then, right now this cassette by You’ll Never Get to Heaven would fit perfectly with it.   Any of these songs could very easily have been on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack and rightfully so.

            The difference between You’ll Never Get to Heaven and every other band I like to compare to that ‘80’s era of music though is that YNGTH doesn’t have one band from that time you can pinpoint them to exactly.   You can’t merely say “Oh yeah, this sounds like” and then fill in the blank, though it certainly would fit in with them and that is probably why even more so.

            I saw this tape go up on Band Camp as a pre-order, and then watched it drop down to three copies left before ordering it that night.  By the time I had awoke the next morning it was already sold out, just another classic example of me getting in there at the last possible second and not being shut out.  (Though I do get shut out a lot)   You can still enjoy this digitally, await another tape from the band and/or search for it on the secondary market, but whatever you do I’m glad I got this before it sold out.







1 comment: