Friday, April 18, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Flesh Prison / Channel63 split (Vanity Pill Tapes)


            Both the front and side of this cassette insert would lead me to believe that the first half of this was split by Channel63 and the second side was Flesh Prison.   However, the back of the tape, where the tracks are actually listed, has Flesh Prison on top so it would appear as if perhaps Channel63 really is Side B.    But none of that really seems to matter because this cassette itself is pitch black and you just have to hope it is rewound to Side A, whomever that might be.  A little bit of labeling could go a long way here, people, even if it was just as simple as putting a letter “A” on the j-card and tape itself to make things clearer. 

            At this point in time, I have listened to both sides, taken notes and now I will do the only thing that I can do to make this review anything close to accurate and do some internet research.   Channel63 has a self-titled six song album on Band Camp that can be downloaded at your price (http://channel63.bandcamp.com/ ) though I actually just then found the link for the split I needed to find eventually anyway, so listening to the stream of the first song should suffice.

            Based on the track listing at the Band Camp page, it would appear as if Flesh Prison is first and that should be my Side A, but how will I ever remember that other than by pressing play I’m not sure, so I’m just going to have to keep it at the same spot all the time when not listening to it, I guess.  Or, you know, use my ears and be able to tell the difference between two different fucking bands.

            The only sense I can make of this is that perhaps the way the songs are listed on Band Camp is backwards, but I’m going to attempt to download them and see what happens.

            On one hand, we have a side full of songs that have screamed vocals in them and are somewhere between a band such as Ed Gein or Converge, but then also are reminiscent of “In Utero” era Nirvana, specifically “Tourette’s”.   The other side doesn’t have the same vocals, but sometimes has demon-esque talking and can just overall be chilling and ambient.  Based upon listening to the downloads, I can only assume that the first band, which sounds more like it could be on Black Market Activities is Flesh Prison and thus the second, which is the more ambient of the two, is Channel63.

            There will be a follow up review for the Channel63 self-titled album and quite possibly also the other cassette Flesh Prison has, and thus we might be able to shed some more light on this because none of the songs on this cassette sound like the songs on the download that is supposed to go with them.  I’ve never had this happen before, but it’s pretty rad.  





No comments:

Post a Comment