Friday, April 18, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Carine Masutti “Of the Glowing Mud” (Barge Recordings / Northern Plastics)


            The true sign of a piece of music that not only really affects you but also you really enjoy is often in the notes I take when reviewing it, and yes I have an actual notebook I take notes in for every cassette that I review.   As I read back the notes from this cassette though, and remember how it sounded, I can’t help but think that many of the sentence fragments I scribbled down about this could be revised and arranged to form a poem.

            Side A begins with some shrieking noises, birds chirping and other animal noises before the synth doom moves in and takes on the rattling of electric guitars.  There are high pitched beeps, and then the Atari 2600 sound of Return of the Jedi leads to shaking.

            On the flip side, I have the note already written in verse that:

            “Barking dogs give way to violins”

            If that could not be part of a poem than I suggest you dig up Bukowski so he can slap you in the face.   We go from musical glasses to the sound of Big Ben.   There are female spoken words and we end on something between Kill Bill and A Clockwork Orange. 

            Though I put most of that into sort of sentences and sort of paragraphs, they could be easily pulled apart and arranged as a poem, which I think someone should maybe do, but hey, why not listen to this cassette by Carine Masutti and write your own poetry.  






No comments:

Post a Comment