Wednesday, March 5, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Voices of Where “Valleys”


                One of the most prominent factors you will probably notice about Voices of Where is that they have male and female vocals which trade off in a way unlike most other bands do these days.  Usually, with unisex vocals, bands have them sing at the same time, back and forth or song by song, but this is a little bit different than all of that and I like it for that.

                There are synth harmonies and some rather loud drums on these songs, but for the most part I find the underlying vibe to be that of a band like Ask for Joy, so this is somewhere between new wave and shoegaze, so newgaze I suppose.

                The female vocals also tend to remind me, as they go on, of Zooey Deschannel (which I am totally NOT spell checking) and so as such this does have some hints of She & Him to it, even though the male vocals aren’t really M. Ward-ish, which isn’t bad because I have no real opinion on M. Ward.

                Aside from describing this as Ask for Joy meets She & Him, they do have a song with a sort of country twang to it that’s somewhere between Mazzy Star and Tom Petty.   Needless to say, whenever that “sort of shoegaze” compilation comes out with Tom Petty covers, I fully expect Voices of Where to be a part of it.  

                If only because I continue to hear the song everywhere I go, I think they should cover “You Wreck Me”. 







No comments:

Post a Comment