Saturday, March 15, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Uncle Meat s/t (Dead Audio Tapes)


                This cassette brings out one song per side and it really is what I think of in my head when I think of the term “noise”, as applied to music.   There are some slight 8bit noises in here, but this is just doom.   The music comes through in sonic waves on the first side and there are some speaking parts but not what I’d refer to as actual vocals.

                There is static.  There is destruction.  And there is distortion.   The first side also ends with a sound clip that goes through various adjectives (“I want you to make it clean.  And if you can’t make it clean, make it messy”) and ends on “And if you can’t make it noisy, make it stupid”.   Often times when I hear audio clips spliced into the music I don’t always know why the artist did it.   Sometimes it makes more sense to me than other times, and this is one of those times that I get it, in the noise sense not that this is stupid.

                The second side of this tape, the second song if you will, has more of a distorted feedback feel to it.   In that way, it begins sounding to me a bit more like “In Utero” than anything else or at least that’s the strongest point I can grasp onto for comparison in a world where there isn’t much to grasp at. 

                It starts to screech rather sharply, in the way that it could hurt the ears of dogs or possibly even humans, maybe fend off werewolves.    And then there is some kind of buzzing noise that brings to mind the sound of an electric razor or lawnmower.    The name of this project always reminded me of a butcher for hopefully obvious reasons and now based on the last track I really do think this Uncle is pretty handy around the house as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment