Saturday, March 15, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Bloodmoney & Morbidly-O-Beats “The Art of Self Destruction” (I Had An Accident)


                The music you find on this cassette by Bloodmoney & Morbidly-O-Beats (it’s a collaboration, if you will) has an overall hip hop feel to it and I could spend several paragraphs going on and on about how I listened to rap music growing up on cassettes and this reminds me of that plus also the modern stuff like Sage Francis and Killer Mike, but yet also how I don’t really listen to a lot of hip hop in general so I can’t make too many comparisons (Though I can only ever seem to cite a handful of references when thinking of rappers who are alive, but there really are a lot more that I listen to and just don’t always pop into my mind right away)

                But on the theme of this being titled “The Art of Self Destruction”, I’d like to say that I am finally happy to hear a piece of music that reflects my views (and those of many others I’m hoping) and it is sort of outside of my comfort zone, which means that people like me aren’t just thinking this—everyone is kind of starting to think it.

                As a broad example, I remember the movie “Idiocracy” by Mike Judge.  You’d think that only stoners or fans of Judge’s other work would like that movie, that sort of dark comedy, but I still believe that it has a very strong message that needs to be conveyed and I mean, if you’re the type of person that wouldn’t watch a Mike Judge but would maybe get the message if a movie came out by some Hollywood director who makes Oscar winning movies, then, you know… Whatever gets you to get it.

                The biggest overall message that I get out of this cassette is that, as they say themselves, “Technology makes us stupid”.   And it’s true.  Everything is becoming far too easy, far too simple, but now instead of making actual efforts to be human we say things like, “Well, shoot me a text” or “Hit me up on Facebook”.   We rely on this technology to be our crutch between ourselves, but we don’t need it.

                And the day will come when it’s gone, though it might not be in our lifetime, and people will end up not knowing how to speak to each properly.  They’ll start saying “L-O-L” instead of actually laughing, which I know people do now anyway (Stop it!  You know who you are) but it will be something in the future that everyone does.

                So what I need for you to do is spend some time outside.  I know, I don’t like it either, but we need to get back in touch with each other in the way that our parents did before everyone had cell phones and wi-fi.   For the good of humanity, this fine piece of hip hop and I beg of you:  Do not let the next generation grow up under the worst case scenario scheme. 





No comments:

Post a Comment