Friday, March 28, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Clearing “Scratch” (I Had An Accident Records)


                The ambient synth drone on this cassette brings up a number of different ideas about scratches for me, and that’s good and also kind of funny how many different levels scratches can have.

                On one hand, I think about the physical scratches.  I’ve been known to be involved in animal rescue, so these days (and for some years now) I have become somewhat immune to scratches from cats at least.  I typically kept scratched, don’t realize it until much after the fact and it rarely hurts but for some reason it can often tickle.

                When I was in grade school, I had a teacher tell me that my handwriting looked like chicken scratch.  Perhaps that is why I like computers so much- because of the lack of handwriting.   Perhaps that notion wouldn’t have been drawn up nor stung so badly had I not been told that by a teacher who was also a nun.   Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that.

                Lastly, for no reason other than to sort of complete the scratching trilogy, at times this made me think of a lyric made famous by Pearl Jam in the song “Footsteps”, in which Eddie Vedder says “I have scratches all over my arms / one for each day since I fell apart”.   On some level, it’d be interesting to pull that particular line from the Pearl Jam song and mix it with this music by Clearing, but I’m no remix artist so I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

                Speaking of the hurt, and how scratches tend to relate to the pain, my wife did mention at one point that the frequencies did hurt her ears.  So if nothing else, this may have stumbled upon something that can be used to keep your spouse at bay when you need some alone time.






No comments:

Post a Comment