Thursday, February 6, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Yeesh “Yeesh” (Already Dead)


                When I did my first ever in person interview with a member of a band, it was at a show that had free cassette tapes as samplers at a merch table.  Granted, music wasn’t really being released on cassette at that point in time, as I do remember also buying a CD that night, but tapes were used as free samplers or whatever.

                This particular tape had bands like Saves the Day and The Stryder on it, which just goes to show you it was back before Saves the Day even had the “At Your Funeral” song going on for them.   For various reasons, as this cassette by Yeesh begins I am reminded of those earlier days of Saves the Day and how I probably would’ve enjoyed hearing more of their music on cassette than CD, Napster and live.

                There are elements of I Kill Giants in here, which also bleed into some of the screamy parts, and then it can also get into the heavier indie punk ala Hot Water Music.   The second side gets a little bit more musically complex, yet also closer to the emo fuzz side of things.


                For the first time that I can remember, I actually considered this band being part of a label and then the question answered itself as I said aloud, “I know why this cassette got released.  I can see why he likes this band”.  






No comments:

Post a Comment