Thursday, February 6, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Semen Priest (Cassette) (Arachnidiscs Recordings)

                Semen Priest is a band that wears many different masks aside from just the strange name mask.  They have beats for days, mixed with that whole experimental electronic vibe, sure, but there is something much more here.

                It’s not quite synth wave or even seapunk, so I was thinking perhaps vaporwave but that might not be right either.  I can hear these Oriental tones coming in at times, and it reminds me of something that you might hear playing in a Chinese buffet.

                Side Note: I was in a Chinese buffet once that had those Oriental tones, but had them playing in the form of American pop songs.  Ugh, I wish I could remember where that was.

                And then all at once, it hits me like a ton of bricks… or maybe just a couple of hundred pounds of bricks.  I realize where I’ve heard this before, why it sounds so familiar and why I am so engaged by it.  In every aspect, this could be the soundtrack to Samurai Jack and I just find that to be ever so lovely.






No comments:

Post a Comment