Thursday, February 6, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Parasol “Not There” (Lost Sound Tapes)


                Parasol is a band that I Immediately fell in love with.  They are not so much pop punk as they are punk pop, but they definitely also remind me of predecessors such as Dance Hall Crashers, The Muffs, Discount and Letters to Cleo. 

                They also have some more modern influences that can be heard such as Speedy Ortiz and… Well, I don’t really know who else because the list of these types of radical bands is somewhat few and far between. 

                When I was in my youth, I went to the Vans Warped Tour to discover new bands.  One of my friends was obsessed with the Bosstones and for some reason I thought Guttermouth was going to be there… Anyway, I found out about a lot of bands I’d never heard of before.

                By finding the music of bands like Far, Fishbone, Dance Hall Crashers, Face to Face and others, I was also exposed to an entirely new culture that was something much more than just a music scene.   This is the feeling that this cassette recreates for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment