Wednesday, February 5, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: 209 & Friends “The 209 & Friends Xmas Compilation 2013”


                I am one of the first to sound off every year around December about how pointless holiday music is.   Why do we have music designated for only one month out of the year?  Why aren’t there more songs about more holidays?  Strictly speaking in a Christian sense, why not dedicate the month of April to songs about the Resurrection of Christ?

                In any case, I am slowly but surely finding some more music that can be tolerable around the holidays.   Some bands only offer up songs, while others have made complete albums even within the last year or two.   I haven’t really found any good Christmas compilations in a while (or maybe even ever), but then this gem dropped into my lap.

                These songs are somewhere between punk rock and rock n roll, yet offer an opportunity for you to perhaps discover some new music even while listening to songs about that one dreaded month a year.    Also, some of my earliest cassettes as a kid were of Christmas music, from New Kids on the Block to the Chipmunks. 

                I’m hesitant to admit that I’m getting into the Christmas spirit, but hearing the song “These Presents Suck” and “Fuck you Santa” screamed over and over again… Well, it kind of reminds me of the sex scene in “Bad Santa”.   That’s getting into the spirit, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment