Tuesday, December 3, 2013

CASSETTE REVIEW: Eye Seas “Fruit Fucking Salad” (Juniper Tree Songs #007)

                I don’t know why the name of this tape interests me so much, but it really got me thinking about fruit salad for some reason.  I love fruit salad, but when you think of salad, you typically think of vegetables. I feel like most other forms of food would have different names when tossed together, but then again, there is tuna, macaroni and potato salad, so who knows.

                It’s also interesting to note that fruits have seeds, so many of those so-called vegetables that you’re putting in your salad are actually fruit anyway.  Couple that with the idea of all these new salads coming out with apple slices or mandarin oranges in them and I have one headache.

                So this music is what you’d expect for a cassette tape, and that is just perfect.   The vocals are soulful, and accappella to begin with, but it quickly takes a dark turn into the acoustic guitar.


                This is mellow and moody, a modern day version of something like Hole back before Kurt Cobain died.   In fact, once upon a time, I had taped a bunch of different Mtv Unplugged specials off of the radio for the audio of them.  One of those was oddly enough Hole Unplugged, a tape I cherished until I lost it (“Sunday Best” is so good acoustic) and this reminds me a lot of that, so I’m pleased.  Hooray for nostalgia!

http://eyeseas.bandcamp.com/
http://junipertreesongs.bandcamp.com/album/jts007-fruit-fucking-salad





No comments:

Post a Comment