Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Infinite Third [Interview # 126]

1) Is the Infinite Third when you divide and get the .33333333 repeating forever?   Doesn’t that make you math rock?

I'm glad your mind naturally went there. My initial "made-up meaning" of Infinite Third was the idea of a minor chord sustaining forever, resonating in every direction. It's way more exciting than the sort-of-obvious yet mostly unspoken meaning of it. And oddly enough, I would call the more recent rhythms I've been jamming on "triangular" if I had to describe them.

2) Your music is described as ambient.  What does the term ambient mean to you, in terms of music?

Well, I don't necessarily identify with being an "ambient musician" although my music does have a pretty general "ambient" approach to it. To me, the word represents a passive quality which invites the listener to dive deeper without blatantly hijacking their attention. As Brian Eno (who I believe pretty much coined the term) has said "it must be as ignorable as it is interesting."

3)  According to Band Camp, ambient music is to inspire visuals in some ways.  Is that why you have a most excellent You Tube page? 

My YouTube channel is pretty much just further experimentation into new artistic mediums and taking Infinite Third (as an entity) far beyond the realm of just music.

4)  What bands would you recommend someone listen to if they had never heard ambient (or good ambient) music before?

Surprisingly, the band that bridged the gap for me to explore more ambient stuff was Mogwai. But I would say Hammock and Eluvium were the two that made me slow down and really appreciate that kind of music. As for currently, I will always recommend Lowercase Noises as some of the most high quality ambient guitar music around.

5)  If Stevie Wonder has said he will never play Florida again, couldn’t y’all just tell him he was in Georgia?

I have no opinion on Florida and no opinion on Stevie Wonder's opinion of Florida. But yes, that's so crazy it just might work. (if that's what you're going for)

6)      Final thoughts, shout outs, etc…??

REMEMBER YOU ARE DREAMING. Also, shout out to Mouth Council! (my electronic vocal looping project which is unexpectedly growing into something uniquely beautiful)

No comments:

Post a Comment