Wednesday, August 8, 2012

INTERVIEW: Danielle Ate the Sandwich

  1.      What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?

That’s a good question, that no one’s ever asked me before!  I would say the thing I want people to hear the most are my lyrics, what I’m trying to say, my attention to detail of the words and how I’m using them. I love to sing and play, but how I write with words is usually the most important thing to me. I feel most frustrated when people say things like “you write funny little songs.” Most of my songs are about pretty heavy, serious issues, so when people say that, I assume they’re not really listening.

  1.      Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age?  Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.

I think music has already moved in to the virtual age. The amount of downloads I get are significantly more than the amount of CDs I mail, or sell at shows. I don’t really like the idea of makings song available to download for free, because eventually it would be impossible to make money as an artist. Making an album and then having the opportunity to sell it is one of the most secure ways for me to make money. I can play shows and hope to God for my song to be played on an episode of ‘True Blood’, but the chances of that happening are so slim.   I think sometimes it helps get the word out about your music if you’re offering it for free, but for me, as someone who has found a way to make a living playing music, I want to tell people to know that there is value in what they’re making and sometimes its good to ask for money in return. (Just as good as it is to give it away at times).

  1.      How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc.   It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.

I think record labels are stupid. For what they do to make it easier for an artist, they also make it more difficult. I don’t like when people tell me what to do. I’d be a terrible person to have on a record label, because I would just get angry and refuse to work how they wanted and sabotage them and myself.  I think record labels are good for certain types of musicians-those who don’t want to do the business side, those who want to “make it big,” those who need direction or are happy to take it, because they just want to play music. I am none of those things. I’m as much amped about the possibility to make business decisions, as I am to get up and perform my songs.  I think its possible to make a career without a record label, but sometimes I wonder how far I can go without one. I am “making it” now, in a way, but how far can I continue to go up and out, before I need a record label to get to the next step!

  1.      If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?

Paul Simon-I love his songs and I think my song style could actually compliment him. I would be genuinely honored.  There are a lot of people I look up to, or love, but it wouldn’t really make sense for me to tour with them.  For example, Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga. I’d have so much fun on tour with them, but my music is pretty different from their stuff. 

  1.      Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?

Jordan, duh. But I was young when they were cool and I have a feeling I would choose someone different now-maybe Joey, or one of the unappreciated members. Danny?

  1.      Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?

I suppose Jack White deserves to win if we’re talking “music”, but I choose Jack Black, because I probably own more Tenacious D albums (1), then I do White Stripes albums (none). Also, I think I would have more to talk about with Jack Black.  I choose funniness over serious, cool, musician-types, ANY day!

No comments:

Post a Comment