Friday, October 27, 2017

Music Review: Yvonne and the No Regrets "Nothing Compares To You"


Back in September, I found this cassette via Bandcamp and clicked on it because- I kid you not- I wanted to see if it was going to be a cover of the song by Sinead O'Connor.   I mean, why not, it could be, right?   In the months to follow, I listened to this music far too much.   It's easily described as thrash punk but there are layers to it and the fact that it is from Finland should also impress you for some reason.

Vocally, I'd say this one lands somewhere between UME, Delta Dart and Pretty Girls Make Graves.    Though some of those artists can still feel like they are coming out musically, I hear an element of hardcore in hear.   This isn't just distortion; there are guitar riffs as well.   Somewhere between Tora Tora Torrence!, The (International) Noise Conspiracy and Christiansen is the best way to describe Yvonne and the No Regrets musically, but then again those references might be not as well known and still don't cover the full spectrum of sound here.

When I first put these songs on though I simply heard them as loud, noisy, energetic filled symphonies which got me motivated.   I wouldn't really put these on when I was trying to fall asleep, but when trying to wake myself up or give myself that boost of energy to do anything-- yes, that's what these songs are good for: at least they were for me at first.   The more I listened to these songs, the more I found myself singing along with them and over time, I think you will as well.

If nothing else, everyone should listen to the song "House Slave", as it captures that 1950's mentality of the woman doing the cooking, cleaning, etc. and it's just what I think of every time someone mentions something like that to me.   So if you're a man and you live by yourself, who does your laundry?   Really, people who say "That's a woman's job" are making men look bad by implying they can't do such things but, yes, this album will give you plenty of reasons to rebel, so rebel on young readers!


€12 Digital //
€15 Cassette //
Edition of 20 //
https://yvonneandthenoregrets.bandcamp.com/album/nothing-compares-to-you

No comments:

Post a Comment