Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Cassette Review: Luke Lund "Katkos (Outage)" (Still Heat Recordings)


[£3 // Edition of 50 // https://stillheatrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/katkos-outage]

When I started listening to (and reviewing) modern cassettes some years ago was really when I started getting further into electronic music because a lot of it can be found on cassette.    I still feel like it's this small portion of what I listen to overall because with cassettes for me it comes down to either "rock" or "noise", but still, I listen to a lot more electronic music on cassette right now than I did ever before.   Though, of course I listened to an even smaller amount of electronic music back in the 1990's and what not, which is evidenced by references I make and will make in this review.

What you have to understand about this cassette- and what I don't know about electronic music is- that to me, I want to consider this to be "electronic noise" even though then people might get the idea that this is closer to being something like "harsh electronics" but it is not.    The thing about "Katkos" is that the sounds on here have a traditional sound when it comes to electronic music (And I'm not entirely sure what goes into that exactly other than synths and drum machines), but there is also this level of odd sounds being used similarly.

By "odd sounds" I mean that instead of what you might think of as being the crashing of cymbals or beat of a snare drum, I can kind of hear as the banging of pots and pans.   I've heard these sounds before (which I call "odd" but that might not be the proper word) but never in a rhythm like this which makes it feel like genuine electronics.   Also, it is worth noting that this could all just be in my head and if I didn't listen to so much of what is vaguely referred to as "noise" then I might not feel this way at all.   That is to say-- an electronic music purist might not make these same remarks and might hear these sounds for what they actually are.

From "Run Lola Run" to something from the Field Hymns or Telefuture catalog these songs remain constant.    They can slow down a little bit, but never to the point where I feel like they're going into an ambient place and it just feels like we're constantly moving and I love that about this cassette.   In a word, to spite all of the genre types and comparisons one could make with other artists, I would simply call this cassette by Luke Lund non-stop.   And this isn't a short journey either so to be able to carry such a pace for the entire time is an accomplishment in itself, on top of which this is a great industrial sounding type of jam.







No comments:

Post a Comment