Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Cassette Review: Doc Reevez & Two Hungry Bros. "Recipe for Disaster" (Already Dead Tapes and Records)


[$5 // Edition of 60 // https://alreadydeadtapes.bandcamp.com/album/ad178-doc-reevez-two-hungry-bros-recipe-for-disaster]

I'm not sure why but based upon the artist name (which has the number 2 and not spelling of it on the front of the cassette art work) and the image of the three guys on the front of this cassette I assumed this one would be hip hop and it turns out that it is.   It just feels- in name and appearance only- like it's going to be along the same lines as Darko The Super but you know it won't sound exactly like that because then Already Dead wouldn't be putting it out.

There are two levels to this cassette- as there are with most pieces of music- and those are the music itself and the lyrics.    The music, this particular brand of hip hop, is somewhere between Cypress Hill and Dr. Dre.   It doesn't have any direct references to others who came before it, but those are the two closest things I can bring it back to other than A Tribe Called Quest which is to hip hop to me the way Elliott Smith is to anyone who sings along with melodies.

To demonstrate that Doc Reevez & Two Hungry Bros. are on the same page as me (great minds think alike and all that) I made a note on Side A that said this was definitely head-bopping beats and by Side B there is a line about nodding your head until you break your neck and as such I now like to think of this as having break-neck beats.  (Is that a thing?)  But besides feeling angry and violent, much like the soundtrack to murder, this is just a lot of fun to listen to with the record scratches and breakdowns.    It's odd because you don't usually put "angry" and "fun" together but it just works here.

As far as the lyrics go, these songs are about being unstable.   "Recipe for Disaster" opens with an audio clip about being in a place for a psycho-neurotic solider and it just kind of goes from there-- as if they tapped into and read my file from HCPC.     One of my first favorite lines is "You're looking at me like that's some shit I said in Spanish" which reminds me of one of my favorite Eminem lines I always find myself going back to: "How else can I explain it? I don't speak no other languages".

From there the rhymes are spit fast- sometimes too fast for me to catch all of them even after my third time through- and there are big words used to describe situations such as Bible studies and something as simple yet prolific as "Life is hard / Death is easy".   But to know that this is not one of those cassettes about love or being sad but rather about being angry at the world because that's how you usually find yourself after all of that, we're offered up the line: "This world is crazy, kid, I give it to you simple and plain".

One of the best tells of this cassette to me, though, is that I always think when I'm listening to it that there isn't really a radio friendly song on here in terms of which one would be that "hit single" you want to submit to the radio station for airplay.   That is, until you get nearly to the end of the cassette and hear the song "Suicide".   I'm not saying this cassette is promoting the killing of oneself, but it might just be the thing to help keep you sane in this crazy fucked up world.







No comments:

Post a Comment