Tuesday, May 27, 2014

CARTOON REVIEW: Clarence “Money Broom Wizard / Lost in the Supermarket”

                This is perhaps the episode combination of “Clarence” that I have seen the most, but that doesn’t stop it from being any funnier or accurate to real life. 

                In the first episode, our trio of main cast stars finds themselves at a place not too much unlike Chuck E. Cheese, full of arcade style games, skee ball and all of the other things that come with that kid’s birthday party type of atmosphere.    Clarence forgets to bring his twenty dollar bill and only has one single dollar to share with his friends for the day.

                This episode serves as a perfect example of how a child can have fun with other children and in this type of environment without spending all of their money.   When I was a kid, I used to go to the mall and play arcade games every weekend even though we had Nintendo at home.  One day, I decided I was sick of putting quarters into a machine when I could just pay a set price for a Nintendo game.  It was this train of thought that sadly killed arcade games, but I digress.

                While everyone goes through this episode with their own troubles and ways of spending the day, Clarence finds a way to have the most fun possible while also seeing everything work out in the end.

                The second episode takes place in the supermarket and involves coupons.   This is one of my favorite episodes of this show thus far, if only because I think Sumo looks funny in the shopping cart and his nemesis at the grocery store is named Joshua (It’s just Josh!)

                Not only does this episode bring out how extreme couponing can sometimes take things a bit too far (They’re like mom money), but also how a grocery store can feel like a playground when you’re a kid.  I can sense this in my own son’s face whenever we go grocery shopping, but for me, as an adult, I am less than thrilled about going to a store where I once had as much fun as Clarence and Sumo.

                And just when you thought you might not see Jeff in this episode, he slips in there right at the end to be bested by Clarence before the credits roll.  


No comments:

Post a Comment