Monday, February 3, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: The Reverend Horton Heat "REV" (Victory Records)


            I only have two notes about this album because that is all that it needs. 

            I haven’t really been paying attention to Victory Records for some time, but it seems like when their bands get big they have some sort of legal troubles and then leave the label.  I’m not sure what it’s all about or if I should even care, but I’m pretty sure that the last album I actually remember liking from Victory was by Bayside.

            By releasing music by Reverend Horton Heat, Victory is doing the smart thing of tapping into an established band that has a following already and is certain to sell some CDs.  This is no new thing for Victory, though, as they’ve been doing this since… Well, they picked up Voodoo Glow Skulls back in the day.

            All that label nonsense aside, this album is as good as ever and I’m still a fan of Reverend Horton Heat, and why wouldn’t I be?  The rockabilly punk blend came to fame in my youth, when ska was cool, so needless to say this is something I am more than familiar with.

            The moral of this story is something along the lines of “love the band first, consider the label second” or… I don’t know.   Victory Records will always be a mixed bag of tricks, but the Reverend will always rock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment