Monday, February 3, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: I Break Horses "Chiaroscuro" (Bella Union)

             At first, I thought I knew what I Break Horses was going to sound like.  I wanted to write it off as a generic indie rock, figured I’d listen to it a little bit and then decide no review.  But then I was pretty certain I was confusing this with Band of Horses or some other band about horses and, well, why are there so many bands about horses anyway?

            When shining its brightest, “Chiaroscuro” is a dance pop record that can get you up and really moving.  It’s electro synth that has fewer qualities of the modern school of music in that nature (Ladytron, Sleigh Bells, Kimbra, etc.) and rather looks more toward the past.

            I’m not talking about too far gone though, as this can go back as recent as Madonna or maybe something between Tiffany or Debbie Gibson.   Mainly, as I grew up with two sisters and two cousins that were sisters, I think of this as being something that the four of them would listen to when we were kids.

            Needless to say, I enjoy this for the nostalgia, if you will, but at the same time I feel like it’s carrying on a tradition more than bringing back a style of music and I really do enjoy that about it as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment